Monday, April 28, 2008

Weather People--The Best Job Ever

I'm simply mesmerized by weather forecasters. They have the best job! Although I am leaning in the direction of pure sarcasm, I must ask the question: How else can a person be paid a salary for being wrong most of the time? This is not a unique complaint, but I am fascinated.

These professionals are extremely entertaining. What with their fun, little moving graphics, meteorologists put together an army of morning commuters, "prepared" with umbrellas on a sunny day! What's not to like? Personally, I enjoy carrying around extra weight.

Let's add some logic to this topic.

Being a scientific meteorlogist is not easy. Behind television gigs, a real meteorologist truly studies the patterns of the atmosphere and makes predictions about possible changes, including threatening weather, like tornados and hurricanes. However, why are these tv versions always wrong? Perhaps, they lack something?

According to theweatherprediction.com, a site about meterologlists, a Bachelors of Science and 3 years of relevant work experience fulfills the requirements for the AMS, American Meteorological Society. This may explain a thing or two. Without sounding condescending, this is a science degree, right? Job postings online can find salaries in the six figures and somehow all you need is a Bachelors.

Let's investigate further.

As it turns out, meterologists have a "3 degree" threshold in which they may still be considered correct about their forecast. I found this factoid interesting, because 3 degrees can be the difference between freezing and just really cold. Who's being picky?

I wondered about their job market. Do they struggle to find a job in a market full of scientists? As it turns out, according to the bls.gov website, 37% of these scientists are employed by the government. The majority of weather broadcasting positions are "rare and highly competitive." I can see why. Who wouldn't want a position where the margin for error is so wide?

Where do they get their research data?

Most meteorologists, broadcasters and researchers alike, use satellites and commonly used stations to monitor Earth's wide variety of sensors, all aptly processed these days through computers. Fair enough--they all get the same wrong information from the same sources!

The argument then becomes about presentation.

How much do you like your weather "guy" or "gal?" Personally, I tend to watch the WPIX channel, and I catch Mr. G and Linda Church for my news. I did a bit of research on them. I was surprised, and impressed, to find out that Mr. G, also knows as Irv Gikofsky, has a Ph. D from Yeshiva University, and his career in forecasting began when he invented the first student-used weather forecasting programs for schools in New York City. He's very community-oriented, and so, I guess I'll decree it's "okee dokee" for him to be wrong every once in a while. Also on the cw11.com website, I found out that Linda Church pursued some graduate work in Environmental Sciences.

Clearly, not just anyone can tell the weather.

All the same, I would prefer some dependable level of accuracy from time to time. It doesn't seem too much to ask when you're paid to tell me what to wear on any given day.

No comments: